PhD student position in precision medicine at the Medical University of Vienna (Austria) in collaboration with the Center for Molecular Medicine (CeMM)
We are looking for an ambitious PhD student for a collaborative project that aims to change therapy decision making for hematological cancers. The project partners two successful institutions with different expertise (clinical innovation and technology): The Medical University of Vienna, Department of Medicine I, Division of Hematology and Hemostaseology and the CeMM Research Center for Molecular Medicine of the Austrian Academy of Sciences in Vienna. The position is financed by the Wiener Wissenschafts-, Forschungs- und Technologiefonds (WWTF, Life Science – Precision Medicine /LS16/034 Superti-Furga/ Jäger).
Due to the heterogeneity of hematological malignancies, it is very difficult to identify effective therapies once a cancer has become resistant to standard treatments. To identify personalized resistance-breaking therapies in hematologic cancers we aim to investigate the feasibility and clinical impact of next-generation functional drug screening (ngFDS) measured at single-cell resolution and next generation sequencing (NGS) of patient material. Ex vivo and clinical drug responses in patients will be rigorously tracked and matched to other biomarkers and patients’ genomics, to suggest a mechanism of action. The successful candidate will establish an integrative database to allow causal modeling of breaking drug resistance and to provide a rational for clinical trial design for hematological malignancies.
We are looking for highly motivated candidates who aim to pursue an academic career as physician scientists and who have a background in medicine with interests in computational sciences (bioinformatics and statistics). The position requires excellent team player skills as well as the ability to work independently.
The candidate will be given the possibility of high-impact publications, thus building an important foundation for a successful career in science. In addition, the candidate will undergo an active career development including participation at international and national conferences, specialized workshops, and collaborations with renowned experts in the field.
- University degree in medicine (M.D.).
- Previous experience with database software.
- Fluent written and spoken English. Knowledge of the German language is helpful.
- Provide a motivation letter.
- Provide a detailed curriculum vitae including scholarships, prizes, awards, presentations at meetings, and publications (if already applicable at this early stage of the career).
- Provide a synopsis of your diploma thesis.
- Provide two letters of recommendation.
- Excellent work ethic, very good communication skills and ability to work in a team in an international environment.
- Enthusiasm, creativity and a proactive approach to solving problems and developing new ideas.
We offer a competitive salary: this position will be paid according to the guidelines of the Austrian Science Fund. The monthly gross salary will be € 2.071,00. In addition, the position comes with comprehensive health insurance.
Please submit your application to: email@example.com